The New European Bauhaus makes the European Green Deal a cultural, human-centred, positive and tangible experience for everyone, promoting the transformation and adaptation of our cities all around Europe through beautiful, sustainable and inclusive places.
Through this competitive call, we seek to incubate inspiring place-based transformative projects, that foster the three complementary values of the New European Bauhaus in daily lives, living spaces and experiences:
- Sustainability – foster climate goals, circularity, zero pollution, and biodiversity
- Aesthetics – increase the quality of experience and style beyond functionality
- Inclusion – promote valuing diversity, accessibility and affordability
Specifically, we are looking to promote projects led by local public authorities and contributing to the New European Bauhaus in the following four action areas:
- Renovation of existing buildings and public spaces in a spirit of circularity and carbon neutrality;
- Preservation and transformation of cultural heritage;
- Adaptation and transformation of buildings for affordable housing solutions;
- Regeneration of urban or rural spaces.
This call is funded by the EU through the Directorate-General for Regional and Urban Policy and implemented in collaboration with Ramboll Management Consulting.
You can find more information on the New European Bauhaus concept and many inspiring projects that implement its values here.
Do you have an advanced vision of how to reconvert an existing infrastructure, brownfield, or public space on your territory?
Can your project demonstrate a strong potential to benefit from our incubation and become one of our place-based New European Bauhaus Initiatives, exemplifying our values of aesthetics, sustainability and inclusion?
Are you enthusiastic about designing a forward-looking, future-proof and innovative project, addressing the local challenges of our times but also experiencing new added values for users, inhabitants, and territories?
Do you want to develop a project proposal for a local New European Bauhaus Initiative that is fit for competitive funding calls at national and EU levels?
Become a frontrunner of the New European Bauhaus, showcase how to create change on the ground, and make your inspiring transformative ideas known across the EU!
20 place-based projects will be selected to receive
up to 75 days of in-kind support by interdisciplinary experts
via a Technical Assistance Programme.
The programme includes:
- Needs assessment: Experts will perform an assessment of the specific needs of the envisaged New European Bauhaus project and develop technical assistance plans with tailored support.
- Support services: Experts will provide state-of-the-art project development and planning, stakeholder engagement (e.g., stakeholder mapping, citizen engagement) and technical advice (e.g., cost estimates, financing strategies, legal advice), according to the needs identified.
- Implementation roadmap: Experts will support the beneficiaries in the incubation of the project towards a detailed roadmap that will guide and enable the implementation of their idea.
Specifically, the expertise that the winner projects can count on will include:
- A variety of methodologies and toolboxes to combine nature, culture, inclusion and art in the design of liveable places and buildings;
- Experienced project coordinators and high-level experts on sustainable liveable places and on stakeholder engagement (e.g., digitally enabled and data-driven anthropological methods);
- Development of project proposals based on best-in-class place-based, participatory, planning and project development practices.
The experiences of the winning projects will be consolidated in a toolbox to provide a blueprint and further guidance for future project owners on how to integrate NEB principles.